"Future Develops With Science and Science With Man "
As Sanko Private Schools has proven itself in getting up with continuously-changing world, we keep being an institution shaping education and thus future.
Learning outcomes have been determined from KG to the end of high school period based on the age group and measurement and evaluation procedures have been specified accordingly. This system is not only result-oriented but also provides an infrastructure monitoring the process and solutions when needed.
Versant Placement Examinations are implemented to our 9th, 10th and 11th graders. The students are placed in their level groups according to the exam results. The aim is to have the students get their English education in the correct group.
1. MUN (MODEL UNITED NATIONS) CLUB
2. PRESS CLUB
3. DRAMA CLUB
Literature Boards were hung on the walls on each floor all around the school for peripheral learning and to introduce English Literature and Culture. Tongue twisters, anecdotes, interesting information, brain teasers, riddles and poems are shared on the walls. Acquisition of English thinking skill is sought through this practice.
Success in all skills in a language is directly proportional to knowledge of vocabulary. For this reason, word pockets are made on the classroom walls for the students to use target words studied in all the lessons actively throughout the year. There is one word pocket in every classroom and the words learned in accordance with the yearly plans are collected in a written way in these pockets. Activities such as pronunciation, meaning, synonyms, antonyms, usage in a sentence and association of words are performed in the classrooms. All the words learned at the end of the year will have been collected in these pockets and revised with different activities throughout the year, all the students will have reached their vocabulary target by the end of the year.
ENGLISH CURRICULUM DESIGN
An English Curriculum Design process special to Sanko Private Schools was initiated in the 2015-2016 Academic Year to clarify KG, Grade 4, Grade 8 and high school graduate profiles, set and achieve the standards in English education. While designing this special curriculum, Common European Framework (CEFR), international English language curriculum, was regarded as the basis.
While forming the curriculum, all the vocabulary items, grammar, four skills and 21st century skills were designed and through which techniques these are taught was also set as a standard. Our curriculum design is still in progress.
Target Language Levels in the Graduate Profiles:
• KINDERGARTEN (A1) • PRIMARY SCHOOL (GRADE 4 - GSE 30-35 –A2) • MIDDLE SCHOOL (GRADE 8- GSE 43 -50- B1) • HIGH SCHOOL (GRADE 11 – GSE 51 – 66-B2)
INTERSCHOOL AND INTERDISCIPLINARY PROJECTS
Some projects were introduced for KG, Primary, Middle and High School students to share with each other, support peer teaching and contribute to the usage of English in other lessons.
QUIZ SHOW: Quiz Show prepared and presented by our high school students is held twice a term and our middle school students take part in it as competitors.
ENGLISH SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS: Science experiments are organized for our high school students to present to the primary and middle school students in English.
STORY-TELLING: Our high school and middle school students tell fairy tales and stories from Turkish and world literature to primary school and KG students to support the Literature course and draw attention to values.
“Culture Days” is organized at the end of year to introduce the cultures of the three languages taught at our school (English, German and Spanish) and ensure that they are used in different settings.
Culture Days Activities:
- Poem Performances
- Station Activities
- Garden Games
- Club Presentations
- Drama shows
- Costume Fest
Interdisciplinary studies bear great significance in our student-centered lessons. We aim at raising individuals who are academically well-equipped, read regularly, have intellectual profundity and self-confidence, can express themselves in front of a community and use Turkish correctly.
Our OBJECTIVES are to have our students …
- use Turkish correctly,
- love to read and assess what they read,
- write about their feelings and thoughts in a creative and effective way,
- increase their self-confidence about speaking in front of a community,
- become aware of national and international values and national consciousness,
- become intellectually well-equipped,
- become academically successful taking advantage of wide range of Turkish literature and appropriating grammatical rules.
We have academic, social and cultural activities to achieve our goals to raise a “whole person”. Some of the activities are as follows:
- Quizzes and remedial activities,
- Measurement and evaluation studies,
- Morning assemblies,
- Two novels from Turkish and Western literature,
- Involvement in national and international competitions of poems, essays, etc.,
- School newspaper entitled “SESİMİZ”,
- “Poem Concert” organized within the scope of “Culture and Art Days”,
- “Debate Camp” organized by “Argüman Fabrikası”,
- Social activity club
“The Debate Club” activities are carried out have our students interpret social and current affairs from different perspectives, speak in front of a community and have a critical point of view.
While bringing up individuals who can use Mathematics in the best way, question, have analytical way of thinking, have developed modelling and generalization skills, haves high self-confidence and are aware of universal values, we have our lessons using proper methods and techniques as student-centered and by associating the topics in Mathematics with daily life.
- become aware of national and universal values,
- organize and interpret data systematically,
- end up with correct results through reasoning,
- solve a question finding basic relations,
- think and research creatively,
- generalize specific concepts certainly,
- adopt the habit of scientific thinking and inquiry to find the result,
- adopt the habit of studying regularly and concentrating,
- adopt the habit of identifying a task systematically and logically,
- internalize all the topics in Mathematics and ace.
- succeed in the Mind Games organized by the Turkish Intelligence Foundation.
- Participation in all the competitions organized by the Turkish Intelligence Foundation.
- Participation in the International Kangaroo Mathematics Contest (IKMC) (Our school is the Kangaroo Mathematics Contest exam center)
- Supporting Mathematics courses with visuals in the Mathematics Lab,
- Organization of the Mathematics contest among the 9th graders traditionally.
- Organization of the Morning assemblies to improve the ability to talk in front of a community,
- Social Activity Club
As part of the Mathematics Olympiad Club, we aspire to raise students equipped with high-level mathematical knowledge and capabilities for TÜBİTAK (Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) Science Olympiads Exam. Our school has ranked the first and second at the regional level.
Physics is a basic branch of science based on experimental observations and quantitative measurement regarding natural events. Physics is the task of understanding nature, learning the reasons for and results of natural events and expressing these through mathematical methods. At our department, it is aimed at bringing up students who can manage nature for the favor of humanity and display proper behaviors.
- own science, art and natural values,
- gain scientific point of view,
- learn methods to using mind,
- correlate between science and technology,
- understand the importance of science and technology in the advancement of a nation,
- gain a constructive and critical point of view,
- convey the results of researches, analysis, observations and experiments in a written and oral way and
- make use of methods such as observation, analysis, experiment and research to reach scientific results.
- conducting multi-dimensional scientific researches at our school in line with our goals,
- keep up with scientific and technological developments,
- ensure that new ideas are proposed and ensure scientific productivity displaying the skills in the process,
- take part in TÜBİTAK (Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey), science olympiads, scientific competitions,
- ensure permanent learning through simulations and
- ensure the students’ acquisition of manual skills through individual and/or group experiments.
Chemistry is the heritage of experience studying the interaction of humanity and the whole nature with matter. The first chemical studies in the historical process were a part of people’s trying to sustain their existence. The Department of Chemistry firstly earns students awareness in this sense. As a department, we also emphasize the need to go over the historical process to teach chemistry and introduce our students chemistry’s perspective to matter.
- gain a scientific point of view,
- learn about historical process of chemistry,
- familiarize with the symbolic language of chemistry,
- learn about atoms and subatomic particles,
- gain the ability to identify and classify elements and compounds,
- gain the ability to classify the changes and interactions in nature,
- gain the ability to assess different physical states of matter,
- gain the ability to interpret the energy accompanying the events in nature,
- gain the ability to interpret unobservable and immeasurable but ongoing reactions in some cases,
- gain a perspective organic chemistry consisting of the compounds of carbon elements
and to explain the significance of claiming science, arts and national values.
- Laboratory and question-answer activities are performed to enhance students’ interpretation abilities, utilizing the well-equipped laboratories.
- Participation in high-quality national and international scientific projects are encouraged and guidance is provided when necessary.
- Scientific documentaries, articles and books are made use of during the lessons.
Biology is an extensive branch of science intertwined with other branches of science. Importance of living beings and their living quarters, perception of living beings correctly and their classification are taught in Biology lessons. Information regarding how to cope with increasing environmental problems due to the advances in technology and how to take precautions without harming particularly living beings and nature is also shared in the lessons.
- To enhance the students’ ability to observe and analyze scientifically and creative and systematic thinking ability that systematic methods earn people.
- To be knowledgeable about technical and technological issues concerning Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, which have gained great significance lately and, in the light of this information and to have the students become conscious of ethical issues in these fields to be taken into account.
- to have the students understand the instances and processes occurring in the human body to let the individuals get to know themselves.
- to ensure that students have an idea about how the organisms work in general by examining the major systems and the regulatory mechanisms as the physiological processes are explained at the molecular level.
- to ensure that the students question and reason out what they learn.
- Laboratory studies,
- Participation in high-quality national and international scientific projects are encouraged and guidance is provided when necessary,
- Making use of simulations.
In the History course, educational curricula directed at an individual’s using and improving their mind and their mental development are in progress. We aim at raising secular, democratic and modern people who adopt Ataturk’s principles and reforms, have caught on the Turkish Republic’s position in the political, social, cultural and economic developments in the world.
- to have the students gain a sense of history,
- to teach basic elements and processes forming the Turkish history and culture and ensure that the students take responsibility for the preservation and development of cultural heritage,
- to teach the formation of the national identity and also the need to protect the need for the national identity,
- to show the significance of national unification by making a connection between past and present,
- to have the students get informed about the civilizations founded throughout the history and the living nations,
- to have the students comprehend the Turkish Republic’s position in the political, social, cultural and economic developments in the world,
- to satisfy the students’ curiosity about the world culture surrounding themselves,
- to have the students notice that history does not only cover political fields but also economic, social and cultural ones and have them gain the consciousness of the fact that ordinary people are the subject of history,
- to analyze the political, social, cultural and economic interaction among different periods, places and people and to have the students deduce about the reflection of this interaction on today’s world.
- to teach the importance of basic values such as peace, tolerance, mutual understanding, democracy and human rights and to have the students become sensitive about their protection and development.
- To ensure that the students interact with different cultures, being devoted to their own culture.
- Morning assemblies to improve the ability to talk in front of a community,
- Encouragement to take duty on special days and weeks,
- Organization of Quiz Shows,
- Organization of conferences about current events and
- Organization of visits to historical places and museums.
In the Geography course, we aim at bringing up people who know the relations between human beings and natural setting, can analyze geographical events according the reasons and results, use geographical terms properly and who are sensitive to natural environment and have high environmental consciousness.
- to ensure that Geography is regarded as a branch of science and develop a positive attitude towards Geography,
- to have the students grasp general information and terms regarding Geography used in the daily life,
- to teach geographical events about the daily life, adhering to the reason-result relationship,
- to have the students learn about basic physiography as well as the earth’s processes and functions,
- to have the students learn about basic anthropogeography as well as the earth’s processes and functions,
- to have the students learn about basic economic geography as well as the earth’s processes and functions,
- to ensure that the students gain the ability to do map reading, interpret, question and draw on digital settings,
- to have the students feel interest in current events, being informed and gain the ability to make geographical interpretations,
- to have the students notice Turkey’s historical, cultural, social, ecological and economic values forming Turkey’s wealth and
- to have the students become sensitive to disasters occurring in our country or somewhere else and gain the ability to put forward solutions making use of their geographical knowledge as conscious individuals.
- to guide students to make researches to bring up individuals who are familiar with our country, world and geography and have environmental consciousness,
- Participation in the international geography Olympiads, projects and activities organized by the Turkish Geographical Society,
- to show documentaries about Geography,
- Preparation for the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, science Olympiads and scientific contests.
The Philosophy course aims at empowering the student-centered educational approach, creating a democratic school atmosphere and eliminating the rote-learning education system at school through the activities in the class.
Our OBJECTIVES are to ensure …
- the improvement of our students’ researching and critical thinking abilities,
- the improvement of our students’ independent and critical thinking abilities,
- our students’ awareness of themselves and environment,
- our students’ ability to understand what is read and analyze the events and cases,
- our students’ philosophical thinking and having information about basic philosophical issues.
- Participation in the Philosophy Olympiads, organized by the Turkish Philosophy Society.
Our goal is to teach individuals what is good and evil, correct and incorrect and bring up patriotic students with social ethics.
- to teach the universal homily of the religions,
- to teach the basics of faith,
- to teach what is worship and what is considered as “worship”,
- to bring up people with social ethics and teach the principles of social ethics,
- to learn about and love our Prophet and make his life understandable to be applied in their lives,
- to instill patriotism and national consciousness,
- to have the religion understood correctly and teach how to keep away from superstitious beliefs,
- to teach that religion attaches importance to logic and supports science.
- to ensure that prayer is performed correctly,
The definition of “an education person” has changed a lot. In our information society, an educated person is defined as the one keeping up with technological changes, practicing them in his/her life, interrogating and improving them. As the Department of Information and Communication Technologies, our goal is to bring up individuals who can use technology in the best manner and direct them in line with its goal.
- to raise well-equipped individuals,
- ensure that our students access to and use information easily,
- use technology in accordance with their goals without getting lost in technology,
- have our students gain the ability to make analysis and solve problems through the algorithm they learn and
- bring up individuals who do not only use but also improve technology,
- We ensure that our students practice what they learn theoretically and make knowledge permanent.
- Participation in the Computer Olympiads organized by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey every year.
Within the scope of the Information Technologies Club, changing our students’ perspective on technology, having them acquire the ability to analyze in the problems they encounter and ending up with the solution easily are the basic goals of our club.
The Department of Physical Education sets sight on students’ physical, mental and emotional development through its activities. It seeks our students’ acquisition of social, emotional manners and behaviors in addition to sports skills development. The students are introduced various branches and sports rules and skills are taught to ensure their development and to turn sports into lifestyle. Our students grasp the relationship of sports activities with health while doing sports and having good time at the same time.
Among the target behaviors are training in cooperation, solidarity and taking responsibility, obeying the leader and leading, playing friendly, struggling, celebrating the winner, admitting loss, using and protecting school materials and adopting the manners and behaviors necessitated by democratic life.
Apart from the PE courses held two hours per week, club activities for table tennis, swimming, basketball, athletics, football, court tennis and volleyball are led by expert PE teachers and trainers.
The students with special talent are chosen to the school teams after the ability survey implemented by the PE teachers and expert academicians.
This Talent Survey is conducted in two main parts: General sports talent and special sports talent.
In General Sports Talent Tests, basic motor qualities (power, speed, durability, coordination, flexibility) measurement and grading are performed.
Special Sports Talent Tests are a system in which basketball, swimming, volleyball, court tennis and table tennis criteria and qualities are graded.
The Talent Selection Committee is a big commission in which 12 PE teachers and academicians are included.
Our OBJECTIVE is to raise individuals who …
- pay attention to teamwork, solidarity, sharing, socialization and sense of responsibility,
- celebrate the winner and admit loss,
- use time effectively,
- have improved mental durability and self-confidence,
- find creative solutions for sudden decisions,
- are aware of maintaining their bodies healthy and fit through exercises,
- comprehend the significance of balanced diet to become healthy individuals and
- can practice first-aid information.
- Training for sports branches accompanied by expert trainers and teachers every day .
- Social activity clubs.
- Skiing camps, athlete development camp, summer camp and camp training held every year.
- Our own sports team’s activities in addition to the school teams.
- Seminars about nutrition and physical activities.
- Sports activities for lifelong sports and health.
- Raising athletes chosen consciously through scientific measurement rather than random success thanks to the talent selection.
- Branch training and rotations in the PE and sports courses.
- Individual training.
- Detecting our students’ weakness, getting feedback, taking precautions and exercising.
SOCIAL ACTIVITY CLUBS
- Basketball Club
- Football Club
- Swimming Club
- Table Tennis Club
- Volleyball Club
AIMS OF THE SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
- To have individuals socialize.
- To ensure that individuals act altogether and in accord.
- To ensure individuals’ social and emotional development.
- To arouse the consciousness of positive effect of sports activities on academic achievement.
- To have the individuals adopt the ability to exercise which protects and improves health.
To ensure the students’ thinking fast.
To improve the students’ ability to decide correctly and fast. To enhance the students’ quality of life.
To have the students relax and feel vigorous.
- To have individuals gain calmness.
- To enhance brain and muscle coordination.
- To have individual relax psychologically after intensive school period.
- To enhance flexibility and the whole muscle power.
- To organize the individuals’ mental motivation processes for their academic life through spiritual imagery.
- To teach how to act as a group thanks to teamwork.
- To enhance overall durability.
- To develop stress management and ability to cope with stress.
- To ensure the adoption of the habit of exercising for the circulatory system work more regularly.
- No element of violence and enhance kindness.
- Development of sense of cooperation.
- To teach how to use time effectively.
- To enhance the individuals’ sense of responsibility.
- To have the students gain static and dynamic balance skills for balanced body development.
- To develop the coordination of hands, arms and eyes.
- To bring reflexes closer to the light speed
- To enhance the students’ ability to think fast.
- To enhance the students’ ability to do tactics and make plans.
- To teach “never give up!”.
- To improve the power of distinction.
- To enhance the ability to decide alone as it an individual sports.
- To have the students gain balance.
- To empower muscles.
- To help get in shape and lose weight.
- To develop sense of tolerance and politeness.
- To gain the ability to think and decide fast.
- To enhance durability.
- To have the students do sports steadily.
- To have the students gain sports discipline and a vision of world.
Adopting “the whole person” value, the Arts Department conducts its activities from KG to the end of high school in order to ensure that all the students benefit from all the branches of art. We want our students to learn each branch by experiencing it in our department, consisting of Music, Creative Drama, Fold Dances and Visual Arts. We also ensure that our students are guided in line with the scales used in all the branches of art.
Our OBJECTIVES are to have our students ...
- be engaged in one of the branches of art professionally.
- study process-based rather than the result-based.
- be guided in line with the scales.
- internalize the branches of art they are engaged in.
- become aware of world art culture.
- know the artists representing our country.
- appropriate their artist identities.
- take part in national and international art competitions.
- read and interpret books, articles, etc. about branches of art.
- perform in front of community.
- develop an intellectual point of view.
Our students who come together and practice the play they choose at the beginning of the year at the club hour perform their play on the scheduled day.
The Drawing Club
Our students reflect what they feel on the canvas and exhibit their products in a big exhibition in the Arts week of our school.
The Dance Club
Our students learn and perform the fine details of modern dance at the club.
Combining craft and art, our students create products using colored copper on wooden material wire with the help of nails.